Tuesday, February 3, 2009

To Do All The Work

Exodus 36:6, 7 “And so the people were restrained from bringing more, because what they already had was more than enough to do all the work.”


One of the biggest complaints about the Church today, from both Christians and non Christians, is that they are always asking for money. In the book of Exodus, Moses tells the Israelites that God has commanded those who are willing to bring offerings to help build the sanctuary. The people respond so overwhelmingly, that they are told to stop, because there is enough to do all the work.


Wouldn’t it be wonderful if today’s Church responded like this? The reason churches must always ask for money is because there is so much work to be done: feeding the homeless, caring for the sick, caring for orphans, etc. Yet, so few respond to these needs with either their time or money.


Before anyone thinks I’m preaching down to them, I want to make it clear that I’m guilty of this myself. I have never tithed regularly and only helped out at Bayside a few times. I want to change this. I am making a commitment to tithe regularly to the church and I want to find a ministry that I can volunteer my time to on a regular basis.


I don’t think we could ever get to a point were the church is told to stop giving. But if everyone who considers themselves to be a follower of Christ donated their time and money, perhaps churches wouldn’t have to ask for help so much.

No comments: